This past spring I posted an app bundle article about how your iOS device can help you plan a camping trip. One of the areas I covered in this article was a couple star gazing applications available for you to download that would give you the ability to enjoy some great family time while looking up into the night sky. Well, today there’s an iOS app that is being offered for free that will give you some great information about what’s going on over everyones heads. SkySafari 4 will only be free for a very limited time, so if you’re getting ready to head out for your families summer camping trip, you must visit the app store right now and download this amazing application before the price goes back up to $2.99. Even if your not heading out on a vacation, SkySafari 4 is a great application to have available to sync to your iOS devices. No matter how old or young you are, it’s always fun to gaze at the stars and now armed with your iOS device, you are able to make it that much more enjoyable for everyone with SkySafari 4.
SkySafari 4 is the next-generation award-winning astronomy app re-imagined for iOS 7!
If you’re new to SkySafari, this is basic version. It includes everything you need to get started learning the night sky: 120,000 stars; over 200 star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies; all major planets and moons, and dozens of asteroids, comets, and satellites – including the ISS.
Here’s what you can do with SkySafari 4:
Simulate the night sky from anywhere on planet Earth, up to 100 years in the past or future. Search for celestial objects, and locate them in the sky using your iDevice’s built-in motion hardware. Animate transits, conjunctions, eclipses, and other events with SkySafari’s Time controls. Explore the sky with Night Vision turned on, and preserve your eyesight after dark.
Learn the history, mythology, and science of the heavens from SkySafari’s hundreds of object descriptions. Browse hundreds of astronomical photographs and NASA spacecraft images. Stay up-to-date with SkyWeek, Sky & Telescope’s mobile portal to all major sky events for every day of the week. Miss nothing!
All this is built into SkySafari 4 – you don’t need an internet connection to use it. SkySafari’s streamlined interface turns your iOS device into a celestial travel guide! SkySafari 4 Plus and Pro add even more – but the basic version is everything the casual stargazer will ever want. (Please note: there is no discount upgrade path to SkySafari 4 Plus or Pro.)
If you’ve used SkySafari before, here’s what’s new in version 4:
- Reinvented look-and-feel with new app icons and artwork to match the style of iOS 7.
- Complete rewrite of compass code for much smoother and more accurate motion tracking. With compass on, search for any object, and an animated arrow now leads the way to help you locate it in the sky.
- Apple Maps integration: choose your location from a built-in Maps view.
- Animated meteor showers, with complete viewing information and spectacular graphics.
- New horizon panoramas: Yerba Buena Gardens in downtown San Francisco, Uluru (Ayers Rock) Australia, and the top of Mauna Kea on Hawaii’s Big Island. Or add your own!
- New and updated descriptions for hundreds of objects. On iPhone, swipe left-to-right to toggle Object Info between data and description. On iPad, both are displayed side-by-side.
- Dozens more tweaks, bug fixes, and additions we don’t have room to list here!