If you’ve been following information on Modern Combat 5: Blackout, then you know it’s going to be pretty amazing. Gameloft provided “the Critic” details on some amazing graphical technology being put into the game. This amazing technology is called Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (SSAO) and when used the results render realistic shadows in those occluded areas. If you’re wondering why this seems like a big deal, it’s because you rarely see this technology used on mobile games, so Gameloft is stepping up their game and bringing it. The screenshots below provide you with an idea of how realistic Modern Combat 5: Blackout is going to look. This cutting-edge graphical effect will look the best on higher resolution screens, like Retina displays, but still enjoyable on previous generation iDevices. Basically what I’m trying to say is it’s going to kick-ass no matter what.
Check out the list of graphical enhancements Gameloft will include in the upcoming Modern Combat 5:
- Eye adaptation & Bloom – exposure adjusts in a more realistic manner when moving between light and dark areas
- Soft particles – improved interactions of particles with surrounding geometry
- Underwater distort and caustics – reproduces realistic water effects
- Real-time character shadows – characters cast shadows on geometry in real time
- Heat-haze – air distortion due to muzzle heating after shooting
- Depth of Field – cinematic effect that makes the background appear out of focus so that certain characters or objects in the foreground step more into focus
- And many more: Reflection ground, Color correction, Specular effects and so on.
Gameloft is still reporting Modern Combat 5: Blackout will be available this summer. If you’re wondering what platforms will get this gem, it will be iOS, Android, Windows Phone, and Windows 8. Check back often since I will be providing updates as I get them from Gameloft.